Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Day One

I got up early and ready to go and see everything. I walked with my roommates to the metro and they went to work, leaving me at the metro station. I figured out how to get a metro card and was soon on my way to D.C. to see the monuments on the national mall. 

The beautiful Washington Monument

from the WWII Memorial
the State's have pillars and a wreath 







The Korean War Memorial. It was amazing to see. And the wall (pic to the right) is cool because it has soldiers and scenes depicted in the picture but it's a reflective surface so the statues of the soldiers could be seen like it was a mirror.  


Korean War Memorial 


Often times I think we don't think and really appreciate the freedoms we have. The world is not all a free place. People don't have all the freedoms that we have and our ancestors didn't necessarily have those freedoms either. Somebody fought for the rights that we have, sometimes it's in a war, sometimes it's in words & negotiations, and sometimes it's people standing up in their lives to protect their rights and others. We shouldn't take for granted the rights that have been given to us through the sacrifices of others. I am so grateful for all those who have served and are serving to fight for my freedom and my rights.



Lincoln Memorial
On the National Mall there is a Declaration of Independence Memorial. I like it, it's pretty and really simple. You cross a little wooden bridge and then there are a few things carved into the stones.


There was a stone (like the one below) for all the men who signed the Declaration of Independence. It has the signature, their name, occupation, and the State they represented.




Me & the Washington Monument

No comments:

Post a Comment